Robert D. Martinez
J.D., C.H.T., Of Counsel
- Litigation – State Courts, including Probate Court, and Federal Courts, including Bankruptcy Court
- Alternative Dispute Resolution, including formal and informal Mediation, and Arbitration
- Business Transactions | Organizations
- Nonprofit Governance and Counseling
- Compliance Counseling
Bar and Court Admissions and Professional Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan 1978, former member Standing Committee on Legal Education
- State Bar of Texas, 1987
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas, 1980
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, 1978
- State of Michigan, all courts, 1978.
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 2005
- Pro hac vice admission to U.S. District Courts in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Illinois, Ohio, New Mexico, and various state courts in Ohio, Mississippi, Tennessee and Florida.
- Tarrant County Bar Association
- Healthcare Compliance Association
- Texas Healthcare Trustees
Robert Martinez is licensed to practice in Texas and Michigan. Bringing decades of nationwide litigation experience, his connection to the firm began over 30 years ago when he and Cary Jennings practiced together as Trial Attorneys with the U.S. Department of Justice in its Dallas Field Office. Robert finished his six-year career of trying civil, criminal and appellate cases for the government as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Eastern District of Michigan.
After leaving government service, Robert litigated a variety of complex cases, primarily in the defense and prosecution of claims for and against major corporations. Additionally, he has championed the interests of families and individuals in a wide variety of contexts. For both categories of clients, Robert has handled cases involving disputed contracts, probate disputes, business organization breakups, insurance coverage, catastrophic loss recovery, professional negligence (legal, engineering, aviation, energy, medical, and accounting), tax disputes, products liability, premises liability, employment, personal injury, and general business matters.
Robert has also helped his litigation clients achieve successful outcomes through alternative dispute resolution, including formal and informal mediation. Robert has litigated enough cases to know that a good settlement has far more business value than a “win” at trial. But equally important, he knows that you can’t get that good settlement unless you are ready to take the case to trial.
While maintaining an active litigation practice, Robert has leveraged his litigation experience to assist a growing number of clients with their transactional needs. Having close up view of the myriad failures that have led to litigation, he has been able to help his business clients stay out of the courtroom by developing meaningful strategies aimed at identifying and controlling the many risks faced by every business on a daily basis.
Robert believes in giving back to the community and lives that value by providing legal counseling and litigation assistance at pro bono rates to a number of national and local non-profit organizations. He is also one of the volunteer members of the Board of Managers of Parkland Health & Hospital System in Dallas. As part of that challenging and rewarding service, Robert chairs Parkland’s Governance, Compliance & Ethics Committee, and he has been certified by Texas Healthcare Trustees as a Certified Healthcare Trustee.
Robert and his wife, Jill, are the proud parents of Sheldon, a rescued mixed-breed terrier, their daughter Angela in Michigan, and son, Michael in Seattle, and even prouder grandparents of Tyler, Jenna and Charlotte, three delightful young adults who also live in Michigan.
- Marine Radar: A Proposal For Mandatory Usage, JOURNAL OF MARITIME LAW AND COMMERCE, May, 1979.
- The “100 Percent Penalty”: What It Is and How to Minimize Your Client’s Exposure To It, 63 MICH. BAR JOURNAL 582, July, 1984.
Honors and Awards
- U.S. Department of Justice, Outstanding Trial Attorney, 1981
- Irving-Las Colinas Chamber of Commerce Volunteer of the Year Award, 2018
- City of Irving, High-Spirited Citizen Award (co-recipient with Jill Martinez) 2018
Community and Business Activities
- Parkland Health & Hospital System Board of Managers (Board Member, 2016-Present; Chair Governance, Compliance & Ethics Committee, 2016-Present)
- Irving-Las Colinas Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors (General Counsel, Ex Officio 2008-Present; Chair, 2010-2011)
- Irving Convention & Visitors Bureau, Fort Worth Plan Commission (Member, 2009-2015; Chair, 2014-2015)
- U.S.-Mexico Cultural & Educational Foundation (General Counsel, 2010-Present)
Robert D. Martinez
J.D., C.H.T., Of Counsel
Broude Smith Jennings & McGlinchey PC
309 West 7th Street, Suite 1100
Fort Worth, Texas 76102
- Wayne State University, B.A. Political Science 1974.
- Wayne State University, J.D. 1977.